Engine cleaning methods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine cleaning methods

What are the different methods people are using,especially with all the electronics in the engine bay these days.
    Just thinking water entering some electrics/sensors & damaging them could become very expensive.

Most modern engines are pretty hardy with water getting on them. I would cover up the alternator, battery terminals and exposed filters (or block air filter duct) with a plastic bag or foil and just high pressure wash underside the bonnet and the black plastic bit where the wipers and front windscreen are (forgot what that part is called), do your necessary APC/Degreaser agitation with a brush on the underside of the bonnet and pressure wash it off. Wait a few mins for the water to stop dripping from the underside of the bonnet and then lightly and quickly spray water on the engine to loosen the dirt. Agitate with a soft brush with APC/Degreaser while getting into the crevices and then again quickly lightly rinse with water. Use compressed air or blower to dry while having a MF towel to wipe the water and dirt off the engine. Of course the engine has to be cool and let it run after you've dried it for a few mins to help evaporate the water. After that turn off the engine and close the bonnet (not locked). Wash the rest of the car as per normal and then come back to the engine and do another wipe on any dripping water that may have landed on the engine from the underside of the bonnet. And then you're ready to add any dressing on it.

Also, you can use WD-40 to spray on electric plugs to be extra safe as this will repel water off those parts.

Comment

Nothing more needs to be said here... well played Newin
      “I know that I don’t know anything more than you know. Really… There are no experts. There is only the integrity of doing and having done.” Terence McKenna

FinishPro Detailing Enhancements
      Web: www.finishpro.com.au Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/finishproAU/ Email: sales@finishpro.com.au

Comment

Thanks n3win.
        I had a bad experience years ago,i destroyed an air flow sensor on a Saab while cleaning the engine bay.

Comment

Originally posted by dazza67 View Post
          Thanks n3win.
          I had a bad experience years ago,i destroyed an air flow sensor on a Saab while cleaning the engine bay.
          I would blame that on the Saab, and not from cleaning the engine

Comment

sounds like I'm a bit rough. I foam it up, scrub with a brush and high pressure wash it off.

as soon as I'm finished with the high pressure i start the engine and leave it running while i spray WD40 around.

Haven't had any issues with this method - but i may have just been lucky.

Comment

Here is a video of Larry doing three different engine bays from carby to injected.

Comment

Degreaser, Dwell, foam, agitate and medium pressure rinse. Take care with the sound deadening under the bonnet as most are deteriorated and will tear. Start engine and run for 5 minutes to dry components. WD40 works OK for electrics as previously suggested.

Detailing is an art, a gift and a curse. Use it wisely

Comment

Also in this Video by Larry from AMMO NYC from the 5 minute mark. Pretty much my bible video when it comes to properly washing cars...literally can watch this over and over again LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWmtLSQYbys

Comment

Working...
                  X