Glass Cleaning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glass Cleaning

After you have detailed your carís exterior and you have it looking shiny and your carís interior looks outstanding, how about your windows?

Fortunately, itís not hard to achieve a smear free finish on your own if you use the correct products and techniques.

There are a a lot of glass cleaners on the market, they will all do a great job and it mainly comes down to using a clean high quality microfiber towel and the right technique. Do not use ammonia based window cleaners on tinted windows.

If you smoke in your car you will also need to clean the nicotine film build up that sometimes happens on the glass. A glass polish or multiple applications of a glass cleaner will remove a heavy buildup.

High quality short pile microfiber towels are an integral part of glass cleaning. It is always handy to use 2 microfiber towels, one to clean the glass that will soak up the glass cleaner and wipe away the dirty film, and a second towel that will dry buff off any streaks or smudges left from the first towel.

Spray a generous amount of glass cleaner for dirty windows and continually wipe the glass with your microfiber towel until almost dry, use a second towel to buff the glass to remove any streaks or smudges left from the first towel.

You will now have truly sparkling and streak free windows.

Always keep these towels separate from your other microfiber towels as you do not want to use towels on your windscreen that may contain traces of polish or wax.

Good advice about keeping towels separate. Never thought of that!
    "MLITE" - 2015 BMW M135i in Valencia Orange

Comment

Nice write, Glass can be a real pain at times but with the right products can be a breeze!
      Last edited by Niko; 08-03-2012, 11:38 PM.

Comment

After going through countless glass cleaners, I personally found that one damp (soaked in warm water and wrung really well) glass cleaning microfibre cloth to clean the glass, then gone over with a separate dry glass cleaning microfibre cloth. No smears. No smudges. No residue. Just simply clean glass.

Comment

Is it still necessary to keep them separate even after they've been washed?

Bon Vivant Automotive Care
          Unit 1, 5-7 Macaulay Street, Williamstown North, Victoria 3016
          T: (03) 9681 9770
          W: bonvivantautocare.com.au
          E: info@bonvivantautocare.com.au
          FB: https://www.facebook.com/BonVivantAutomotiveCare

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
            After going through countless glass cleaners, I personally found that one damp (soaked in warm water and wrung really well) glass cleaning microfibre cloth to clean the glass, then gone over with a separate dry glass cleaning microfibre cloth. No smears. No smudges. No residue. Just simply clean glass.
            This is good advise. I have also had great success using an well wrung out old leather/synthetic chamoyis and a clean glass MF to buff. Works a treat for the inside on tint and the windscreen.

As for the outside. I've never bothered with glass cleaner. I just dry thoroughly after a wash and then if there are any water marks/stains, a quick application of AG glass polish will net you crystal clear results and offer good protection till the next wash. I don't even have use my wipers in the rain. Water just beads off

I will add that this is on my daily that sees a wash at least once a month and the glass is in good condition. I am still trying to find a cost/time efficiency method of correcting poorly maintained glass with scratches and/or hard water etching.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by purp13m0nk3y View Post
              I am still trying to find a cost/time efficiency method of correcting poorly maintained glass with scratches and/or hard water etching.
              ceriglass from waxit applied by machine for scratches and deeper etching
              The thing that you do, after your day job, in your free time, early in the morning or late at night. The thing you read about, write about, think about, fantasize about. that thing you do alone and theres no one to impress, nothing to prove, no money to be made, simply a passion to pursue. Thats it, thats your thing, thats your heart , your guide, Thats the thing you must, must do.

Comment

Originally posted by LIBERTYRX1 View Post
                ceriglass from waxit applied by machine for scratches and deeper etching
                Thanks for the heads up. I've got some vertical scratches on the WRX windows (frame-less windows look cool but the mechanism to keep them aligned also scratches the outside of the glass over time) and wasn't sure where to start trying to correct them.

Ceriglass is now on the wish list

Cheers,
                J.

Comment

A quick possibly simple tip i picked up from someone years ago but remembered was on the outside clean moving up and down the windows, on the inside move side to side (horizontally). It sounds stupid i know but the reason behind it is than if you do have smears left you can tell instantly if they are on the inside or outside.

Comment

^ That is a simple but effective idea! Genius!
                    Jon
                    Email: jon@obsessiveshine.com.au

Comment

That's a really good tip Rob. I had never thought of that.

Comment

I've always had problems with smugdes on the windows but hopefully with these helpful tips i should'nt have this problem any more

Comment

Lol very smart and great tip. Never ever thought of it. Thanks man.

Sent from galaxy far far away.

Comment

The way that works for me best is I use a glass cleaner microfibre cloth then buff it off with a good quality microfire cloth comes out beautiful

Comment

Has anyone ever used a DA on glass?
                              Not for my car! The glass panel inside the oven door has baked on oils that normal cleaning won't shift.
                              If it beads...

we can clean it.

Comment

Working...
                              X