X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott
    started a topic Glass Cleaning

Glass Cleaning

After you have detailed your carís exterior and you have it looking shiny and your carís interior looks outstanding, how about your windows?

Fortunately, itís not hard to achieve a smear free finish on your own if you use the correct products and techniques.

There are a a lot of glass cleaners on the market, they will all do a great job and it mainly comes down to using a clean high quality microfiber towel and the right technique. Do not use ammonia based window cleaners on tinted windows.

If you smoke in your car you will also need to clean the nicotine film build up that sometimes happens on the glass. A glass polish or multiple applications of a glass cleaner will remove a heavy buildup.

High quality short pile microfiber towels are an integral part of glass cleaning. It is always handy to use 2 microfiber towels, one to clean the glass that will soak up the glass cleaner and wipe away the dirty film, and a second towel that will dry buff off any streaks or smudges left from the first towel.

Spray a generous amount of glass cleaner for dirty windows and continually wipe the glass with your microfiber towel until almost dry, use a second towel to buff the glass to remove any streaks or smudges left from the first towel.

You will now have truly sparkling and streak free windows.

Always keep these towels separate from your other microfiber towels as you do not want to use towels on your windscreen that may contain traces of polish or wax.

• serialain
    replied
    What do you guys use if going the chemical cleaning route?

Leave a comment:

• Mimaki
    replied
    Originally posted by Nick View Post
    After going through countless glass cleaners, I personally found that one damp (soaked in warm water and wrung really well) glass cleaning microfibre cloth to clean the glass, then gone over with a separate dry glass cleaning microfibre cloth. No smears. No smudges. No residue. Just simply clean glass.
    this is my method also.. seems to be ok

Leave a comment:

• NeilK
    replied
    Have just got some Carpro Ceriglass and a 3 inch polishing pad. Hope to be able to try it this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• Trewarin
    replied
    I have cleaned over 5000 pieces of glass with razor blades, and scratched not one.
    I wish I was exaggerating, but dealership work means a lot of stickers/paint pen etc to get off glass.
    With correct amounts of lube and the right angle you will never have a problem.
    I wedge a finger under the blade to set the correct angle, and use this:

Leave a comment:

• QBDentFree
    replied
    Originally posted by MitchH View Post
    Hey Dan have you tried using a razor blade on glass, i saw Larry do it in one of his videos and suggested it to level the glass to improve clarity
    When I detailed for a panel shop, I used to resort to blades for heavy overspray on glass. Very easy to irreparably scratch the glass with a moment of inattention.
    When training a replacement (we went through about 6), every single one damaged the glass more often than not

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Caffeine_Fiend
    replied
    Originally posted by MitchH View Post
    Hey Dan have you tried using a razor blade on glass, i saw Larry do it in one of his videos and suggested it to level the glass to improve clarity
    I'm personally not a fan. There is too high a chance of scratching the glass. If the glass is really hammered (I mean REALLY hammered, as in old JDM import hammered) then sometime 0000 steel wool and clay lube can help, but I would only use it externally and if all chemical means don't work

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• MitchH
    replied
    Originally posted by Caffeine_Fiend View Post
    You'll have limited success. Better to try chemical means

Leave a comment:

• Caffeine_Fiend
    replied
    Originally posted by vs_pete View Post
    Will the clay bar remove hard water marks
    You'll have limited success. Better to try chemical means

Leave a comment:

• vs_pete
    replied
    Will the clay bar remove hard water marks

Leave a comment:

• mr,inchy
    replied
    Originally posted by Caffeine_Fiend View Post
    I clay the glass of all cars that come through as a part of the decon wash process. It can make quite a difference

Thats what i thought, thanks heaps - cant wait to try it

Leave a comment:

• Caffeine_Fiend
    replied
    Originally posted by mr,inchy View Post
    Does anyone clay bar their windows? i have heard this works wonders too! obviously heaps of lube needed but anyone tried it? would like to hear opinions before i potentially go and scratch the fuck outta my glass. Wont touch my tinted glass with it though.
    I clay the glass of all cars that come through as a part of the decon wash process. It can make quite a difference

Leave a comment:

• mr,inchy
    replied
    Does anyone clay bar their windows? i have heard this works wonders too! obviously heaps of lube needed but anyone tried it? would like to hear opinions before i potentially go and scratch the fuck outta my glass. Wont touch my tinted glass with it though.

Leave a comment:

• Senator215
    replied
    + 1 for megs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Dyln_bxtr
    replied
    Maguires glass cleaner is pretty top too

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

Working...