Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New car advice

Hi all,

First time poster here but hopefully many more to come!

My wife recently purchased a new cx5 (4 days old). When we bought it we opted (possibly a mistake) not to have the paint protection extra. The weekend is here and I'm wanting to set some good habits with this car.

1. Should I wash the car and apply some sort of wax or sealant?
    2. Do I need to "claybar" after the wash? (I've never done this)
    3. What reputable but cost effective products should I purchase to keep the car the best I can, I.e sponges, Chamois, wax, wash.

I'm hoping to get as many products as possible at super cheap auto as they are not too far away. My in-law swears by Maguires....thoughts?

Look forward to your advice and learning the ropes. Any tutorial videos would be great too.

Definstly not a mistake, you made the right choice not getting the waste of money paint protection.

Depends what you want to do. Is this something you want to do yourself and make a hobby out of? Or is this something you'd rather have someone else do then just maintain yourself?

Once we know this it might be easier to give you advice.

Comment

I'm keen to get into this myself and maintain. We need good resale in the years to come and I'm after a new hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by calaper View Post
        I'm keen to get into this myself and maintain. We need good resale in the years to come and I'm after a new hobby!
        If it's going to be more of a hobby I'd strongly suggest looking at some of the sponsors such as Zas, Wax It, Detail Central ect; you'll find products at good prices and all much better than over the counter stuff you can buy at supercheap and you'll also receive valuable advice. Go through the threads in the "Show and Shine" section, and look at products people have used and processes they have done and try find similar colours or Mazda paints in particular to get a feel for what might work best for you and give you ideas.

Going back to your questions.

1. A wax or sealant is always a good idea if you want to protect your paint. Main difference you'll find is a sealant will generally give you more or a glassy and reflective look (some people like it, some people don't) but you will get good longevity from them. Waxes will generally not last as long, but will give of a more warm, deep look. Best of both worlds would be sealing the car and then using a spray wax every few washes as a drying aid to keep protection at it's best imo.

2. If you plan on correcting the car, then yes; you'll always need to clay the car. It's all in the prep so it's essential to get rid of any contaminates before any correction work.

3. Products all comes down to personal preference, trail and error and finding out what works best for you. As far as essentials go; I personally love a lot of stuff from the Optimum range at the moment. I maintain all my cars with ONR (Optimum No Rinse), Optimum Foam Wash Sponge, Optimum Car Spray Wax, and Optimum Microfibre Waffle Weave Drying Towel. I've been super impressed with all their products and find them to be very cost effective as I can use the ONR to clean windows, then dilute it to use as clay bar lube and use spray wax as a drying aid to protect the car and dry at the same time making things quick and efficient. It's all personal preference though, you need to find what works best for you.

Nothing wrong with Meguires products, Meguires and Bowdens both make pretty good stuff as far as over the counter stuff goes.

Comment

Welcome to the forum mate! The best habits I would recommend for you is to wash your car regularly like once a week, and to use what ever products as per the directions. I even go as far as measuring out my car shampoo - I always use way too much if I don't. More is certainly not better.

1. The right protection product will help you keep your car cleaner for longer, and keep the paint free from oxidation. There's plenty of options from just using a regular wash and wax, to using a full blown professional paint coating. Nothing wrong with using just a spray wax every few washes - quick and easy, job done.

2. No. A clay bar is only needed to remove contamination that has stuck to the paint over months. If you wash your car regularly, then you'll get very little use out of clay.

3. It's all personal preference, but I do recommend you use microfibre cloths for drying instead of a chamois. I use a microfibre noodle sponge from Woolies and a single 20L bucket. Other people use 3 buckets and half of Bunnings to wash their cars lol! Just about all of us have a pressure washer with a foam lance attachment though, they are a great tool - and not just limited to car use.

Comment

If it's new and not badly swirled up by pre-delivery cleaning then I would suggest an initial simple approach. You need to make sure you will actually "enjoy" detailing before committing hundreds of dollars into equipment.

So this is what I'd suggest picking up from your local Supercheap or similar a basic "kit" consisting of quality products from either Mothers (my preference), Meguiars or Bowdens.

Initially stick to a wash, a synthetic wax and a spray detailer. Get an alround interior/exterior spray for the dash plastics and rubber outside.

Count on getting about 4-6 decent microfibres cloths for drying and wax removal, a couple of applicator pads for the wax and a noodle sponge for the wash. I'll presume you have two buckets.

Wash car carefully and slowly.

Dry car carefully and slowly, look closely at the paint, see how it feels and reflects light.

Apply the wax thinly and carefully, buff off with the cloth. Again do it slowly and carefully, see how the reflectivity changes etc

Wash it again the following weekend and use the spray detailer.

Repeat the waxing every 2 months and you'll basically maintain the finish just fine to maximise resale.

If after a few weeks you really really want to get into "detailing" then go further, but in the mean time stuck to just your written goal, a good looking new car that will hold value.

Comment

Cheers guys, what a great community.

I guess I'm in a good spot as the father in-law has a bit of Maguire's gear.

I'm mainly hearing microfiber clothes for drying....

I agree with taking it easy until I know I'm interested in taking it to the next level.

What would be my best option for interior protection and also what is best for black plastics on the exterior?

Do people use anything in particular on the black metal wipers? Wax?

Comment

Clay is only essential where there is excessive contamination.
                Prepsol and then Iron X first.
                No reason to polish away clay marring if you never cause it.

Sent from my ZTE B816 using Tapatalk

Comment

Interior can't go past 303 Aerospace. Good stuff. I also Scotch Guard the cloth seats once a year.

Black plastics is your choice but Cquartz Dlux works well and lasts ages. I also really like Angelwax AnGel. Looks great, lasts great and wont stain anything.

Detailing is an art, a gift and a curse. Use it wisely

Comment

Keeping the "off the shelf vibe" 303 on the interior is a good move, we've also had good experience cutting the Meguiars interior protectant 50:50 with water gives a muted finish which may be preferable.

I personally use Chemical Guys Silk Shine cut 50:50 on interiors which gives a nice finish and very little glossing.

I use Mothers "Back to Black" on exterior trim, but for large areas and grills etc I use straight Silk Shine.

Comment

Thanks guys. Gonna get into it tomorrow and report back. I'll let you know what options I go with. I have noticed people mention "303" in a couple places.... Must be for good reason!

Comment

Hey bobs are these over the counter products? Is black plastics a product?

Comment

Sorry last question for the night.
                          I've got a karcher with attachments for car washing. Does this take the place of the old sponges or are pressure cleaners mainly for a pre-wash?

Comment

Originally posted by calaper View Post
                            Sorry last question for the night.
                            I've got a karcher with attachments for car washing. Does this take the place of the old sponges or are pressure cleaners mainly for a pre-wash?
                            You'd be using the Karcher as a pre soak and rinse at the end of your washing. Also look into a nice wool wash mitt, a lot of guys prefer them over sponges and they seem to glide along the paint a lot more nicely.

Also, make sure to get some grit guards and get familiar with the 2 bucket method.

Comment

Thanks mate, will do!

Comment

Working...
                              X