New car advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, and welcome.
    303 is good stuff, but for me on a brand new car, it's a bit much IMO. I generally like using a damp cloth on the interior.
    Pressure wash prior to washing is great also.
    I used to foam all the time but haven't done that for 6+ months. For a weekly wash I think it's overkill.
    2 bucket wash is a must. I've never had a grit guard either, but washing the car weekly with pressure clean before hand, the 'dirty' bucket is usually pretty damn clean.
    Make sure you enjoy the process before committing too much money into it.
    Enjoy!

Comment

Cheers black butters. The reason I'm keen for something more than a damp cloth is that where are carport is situated gets a strong afternoon sun. Im thinking some added UV perfection on the dash is a good move. What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by calaper View Post
        Sorry last question for the night.
        I've got a karcher with attachments for car washing. Does this take the place of the old sponges or are pressure cleaners mainly for a pre-wash?
        Get a foam lance for pre-wash. Don't use those brush attachments on any paintwork!

Wash as normal afterwards, the pre-soak will loosen and remove the majority of bugs and dirt on your car.

Personal preference for what you use to wash and how many buckets you use - if you wash your car regularly it won't get dirty anyway...

Comment

Cheers black butters. The reason I'm keen for something more than a damp cloth is that where are carport is situated gets a strong afternoon sun. Im thinking some added UV perfection on the dash is a good move. What do you think?
          yes, the 303 or similar but not ArmorAll is what you want.

Comment

Detailing is a very personal thing. You'll work out over time what suits you.
            Our car has tinting and wears a dash screen whenever parked outside, so I don't feel the need for additional protection, but everybody is different.

Comment

Another option if you're in Brisbane is CarCare Products in Cooparoo. CCP down south has quite a 'reputation' as snotty but their Brisb store is handy if you want a walk-in alternative to your Supacheaps, Repcos etc. They stock detailing products and the Bris guys are knowledgeable and never snotty to new-to-detailing people.

I'd also recommend getting an APC (all-purpose cleaner) which you can dilute into a smaller bottle and keep in the glovebox with a MF cloth. So handy for attacking spills straight-away rather than let them dry and potentially stain interiors. Also handy for getting out bird/pat poo too.
              Needs moar spoiler.

Comment

the guys at brissie are brilliant. sydney.. well yeah

Comment

Hey fellas,
                  I gave the car a good wash today and finished with a wax. Used my father in-laws "techwax" from Maguire's. Free is good. Easy to apply and finish looks good. Just happy to have some protection down. I also picked up a bottle of quick detail just for the bird poos that magically appear in the morning. I'm assuming this is applied to the affected area and then let to soak before wiping po off?

I opted with the suggestion of just wiping the interior with a damp cloth. It didn't need anything more.

Finally after doing everything, it rained! Probably something to get used to when taking care of the car.

Thanks for all the advice.

When should I next apply wax?

Comment

Give it a couple of weeks. The synthetic waxes and sealants will generally last a few months, but it'll depend on weather and so on.

The desire to up the shine level will probably kick in before the product breaks down - especially if you're using quick detailer and washing as an interim

Comment

Hey fellas,
                      I gave the car a good wash today and finished with a wax. Used my father in-laws "techwax" from Maguire's. Free is good. Easy to apply and finish looks good. Just happy to have some protection down. I also picked up a bottle of quick detail just for the bird poos that magically appear in the morning. I'm assuming this is applied to the affected area and then let to soak before wiping po off?

I opted with the suggestion of just wiping the interior with a damp cloth. It didn't need anything more.

Finally after doing everything, it rained! Probably something to get used to when taking care of the car.

Thanks for all the advice.

When should I next apply wax?
                      I don't use my tech wax anymore as I was only getting 2 weeks out of it. This is on a daily that's left outside though.

Now I just use HD poxy and top with a spray wax. Lasts a lot longer.

Comment

Cheers Luke, this is the wife's daily driver so likely to fall in the same boat as you. I'll sus out the HD poxy

Comment

Or better still would be to use HD Nitro Seal... and top off with Kamikaze Overcoat (used every 2nd wash as a QD aid) ...
                          A touch more expensive but should give wonderful protection and looks for around 18 months before needing to be re-done...

Comment

Is nitro applied as per normal wax? Mixed reviews on it in terms of value. Anyone else recommend it?

Comment

Is nitro applied as per normal wax? Mixed reviews on it in terms of value. Anyone else recommend it?
                              its two part application but ohhhh so easy to apply and results are stunning IMO. plenty on here will recommend it
                              The thing that you do, after your day job, in your free time, early in the morning or late at night. The thing you read about, write about, think about, fantasize about. that thing you do alone and theres no one to impress, nothing to prove, no money to be made, simply a passion to pursue. Thats it, thats your thing, thats your heart , your guide, Thats the thing you must, must do.

Comment

Since most have recommended wax, I'll go the other way and recommend a sealant. You have a new car so perfect time to seal that paint. I like them more than wax as I find it's less effort in the long run and therefore more enjoyable to work on the little things.
                                A good snowfoam works well others do little.
                                Two buckets are essential.
                                Synthetic mitts are great.
                                Synthetic drying towels great.
                                You have to maintain the synthetics so have a read up on that. I use bowdens.
                                De tar, de iron and seal.
                                I like gyeon wetcoat for ease of use and occasional cure.
                                Sealed wheels are effortless to maintain.
                                Been using Adams glass sealer which does a good job and again makes cleaning easy.
                                A good glass cleaner and cloth is also a good idea.
                                Enjoy the journey!

crash486

Comment

Working...
                                X