New car maintenace adive please.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New car maintenace adive please.

So in mid March we picked up a new Hyundai i-30 Active X hatchback in white.
    I am retired and it will probably be our last car. I have been reading and learning all I can to look after it and keep it in good condition.

It has never been washed with a hose and a few days ago I did a one bucket rinse-less wash with ONR WW. Then I used Meguires X-Press spray wax.
    Prior to that when I got it home from the dealer I wiped it down with a wet chamois and waxed it with Mothers Canuba wax.
    As it got dusty I used Meguires ultimate Quick Detailer.I bought and did all interior leather seats etc with a Mothers brand leather treatment .

I did the dash and plastic surfaces inside with a Meguires protector. Also did the headlights with a plastic protector.

Please understand to me the car looks wonderful. However a few days ago I got the bright idea to treat our white refrigerator with ONR WW and then Megs X-press spray wax. I had vaguely heard of a clay bar, but of course never owned or used one. So I watched videos and rubbed my hands over the newly treated Fridge and its as smooth as glass.

Went out to the garage and the cars paint is sadly not.
    Its a 2016 model so obviously I have no idea how much pollution it has been through prior to me getting it in March, but I can feel the roughness compared to the Fridge. ( The fridge tends to not get outside much lol )

So today I bought a 2 pack of Bowdens Own Fine Clay Bar. I will use Optimum NRWW at Quick Detailer dilution rate as a lubricant.

So here is my question

So I clay the car, and then wax it again with the Mothers Carnauba wax.
    Then just keep it clean by Optimum NRWW method using distilled water and several MF cloths ( I have bought about 50 of them ) and keep using the Megs X-Press spray wax weekly. We are on level 3 water restrictions here so not allowed to use a hose on a car anyway.

I know there are other steps that I am missing, but will this be enough to keep our car looking great please ?
    Thanks for reading my long post!

Hey. Iv e not done any waterless washing, so can't comment on that front.
    If you really want to feel how rough your car paint is, get a glad bag (snap lock sandwich bag), put your hand in it & then run it over your paint when clean. It's disturbing how much fallout a car will collect. Even a coated and regularly washed one..
    I like using a good quick detailer as I'm drying the car to keep it feeling slick (masking the feeling of fallout on the paint).
    Good luck with maintaining your new ride.

Comment

Hey, same deal for me except I TBW. Once I got the i30 home I went for
      - snow foam
      - power rinse
      - de-tar
      - de-iron
      - TBW
      - clay
      - TBW
      - Gyeon wetcoat
      Then I did the wheels individually off the car, sealing with Gyeon rim
      - I between things I coated the leather after cleaning and used 303 on interior plastics
      - engine bay clean, wetcoat on paint and 303 on the rest.
      - oh and I clayed the glass and sealed with Gyeon glass

It's been 6 months and beading is still great and it's so easy to clean. Also it's average is 4.6l/100km

Comment

How are you lifting your i-30 using a trolley jack to not damage the sills at the 4 jacking points please?

Comment

Dags, I just used the supplied jack.
          Did the spare first (decontamination and seal), then followed the tyre rotation process to do each successive wheel.

Comment

I have two of these on the way from china.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Classic-C...%257Ciid%253A1

Comment

Working...
            X