Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Choosing compounding and polishing pads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Choosing compounding and polishing pads

    Hi everyone,
    Looking for some advice on choosing compounding and polishing pads .
    I am purchasing a Zentool 15 dual action polisher and need to buy some pads (5.25 or 5.5 inch) to use with it (I currently don't have any pads).
    So the options I have found are Lake Country CCS, Lake Country Hydro-Tech, Optimum Waffle, Zentool range, and Chemical Guys Hex-Logic Quantum.
    I'm also looking for a recommendation on a microfiber cutting pad.
    If anyone can provide feedback on any pads they have used it would be greatly appreciated (positive or negative experiences welcome). Lake Country seem to have a good name from what I have read on here.
    I will be hopefully detailing several cars so I figured I'd purchase the full range available.
    Thanks,
    JC

  • #2
    I would go with the Zentool range, they are affordable, cut well and are really durable.
    The cross-cut pads are great.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm an absolute novice, but have used Hexlogic pads with very good results. Can't comment on the others as I have not used them yet. Only corrected the one car so far

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by JC1 View Post
        Hi everyone,
        Looking for some advice on choosing compounding and polishing pads .
        I am purchasing a Zentool 15 dual action polisher and need to buy some pads (5.25 or 5.5 inch) to use with it (I currently don't have any pads).
        So the options I have found are Lake Country CCS, Lake Country Hydro-Tech, Optimum Waffle, Zentool range, and Chemical Guys Hex-Logic Quantum.
        I'm also looking for a recommendation on a microfiber cutting pad.
        If anyone can provide feedback on any pads they have used it would be greatly appreciated (positive or negative experiences welcome). Lake Country seem to have a good name from what I have read on here.
        I will be hopefully detailing several cars so I figured I'd purchase the full range available.
        Thanks,
        JC
        MF pads I would go for the recently released Buff n Shine URO fibre pads, they have shorter fibres than usual, they don't mat down like the others; cut and finish well also. The foam interface also stiffer and lot more robust too.

        For foam pads I find the Shinemate range extremely good value, their interface layers nicely fused onto the foam pads and doesn't peel off easily like some. I find their green pad too stiff and I prefer to use wool or MF if I want a lot of cut from the pad, their Yellow and blue pads are mint. Their orange pad is decent for polishing/ light cutting work though my favorite for polishing/light cutting is the Rupes yellow which is lot dearer. Just stick with their flat pads, don't bother with their more $ diamond pads with the bumpy contours.

        Scholl spider pads are great also, though they cost a lot more than the Shinemate. The spider cuts keep paint debris and spent product under control. I use Navy blue spider pads teamed with S20 black as a one step for hard paints and Purple Spider pads for soft to med paints.

        As for Compounds, try the S3XXL for heavy cut, S20 black for one step, M205 or OPT hyper polish for light cut/polishing.



        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by EG30 View Post

          I use Navy blue spider pads teamed with S20 black as a one step for hard paints and Purple Spider pads for soft to med paints.
          You sure ?? I thought the Purple Spider pad was harder than the Blue. Am about to hit my Abarth 124 (Mazda paint !!!) and planning to use the Blue pad

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by AusAbarth View Post

            You sure ?? I thought the Purple Spider pad was harder than the Blue. Am about to hit my Abarth 124 (Mazda paint !!!) and planning to use the Blue pad
            Sure as fk mate, I guess you'll find out how well the navy blue pad cuts onto your mazda paint soon enough.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by EG30 View Post

              Sure as fk mate, I guess you'll find out how well the navy blue pad cuts onto your mazda paint soon enough.
              Thanks.....you are right. My recollection was obviously wrong from the when I first purchased the pads a long time ago

              May have dodged a bullet there ..... thanks again

              Comment

              Working...
              X