Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What pads do I need to remove swirl marks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pads do I need to remove swirl marks?

Hi guys, first post here but Iím hoping I can get some help because Iím really struggling with my car.

The car I have is a 2012 Volkswagen polo gti,it has fairly decent swirl marks all over the car and Iíve heard very hard paint
    polisher Iím using is a Rockwell http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Pro...00-Watt/135285

So for the past couple days Iíve been trying to remove the swirls on my car with no success, I started off with meguiars ultimate polish thinking that would remove the but it did nothing with these pads http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Pro...e-180mm/385469 Iíve been told that these wonít remove swirls as they are more finishing pads.

so I went instore to waxit and they suggested Scholl s20 I gave that a shot with the same pads and again not much results it definitely did something but the scratches and swirls were still there under the sunlight. Right now I think the only thing holding me back from removing them is Iím using the wrong pads and I need cutting pads.

What pads would I need for the job and is there anyway I can change the backing plate of my polisher as Iím finding it way to big to handle being 180mm Iíve hear 5Ē plates are the best and there seems to be more pads available for that size

thanks for the help guys I appreciate it
    Last edited by Polo_GTI; 15-07-2018, 11:17 AM.

I've had success with the blue and white 'spider' versions of Scholl pads for removing defects with S20 but no doubt a lot of pad combos will work.
    ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Polo_GTI View Post
      Hi guys, first post here but Iím hoping I can get some help because Iím really struggling with my car.

The car I have is a 2012 Volkswagen polo gti,it has fairly decent swirl marks all over the car and Iíve heard very hard paint
      polisher Iím using is a Rockwell http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Pro...00-Watt/135285

So for the past couple days Iíve been trying to remove the swirls on my car with no success, I started off with meguiars ultimate polish thinking that would remove the but it did nothing with these pads http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Pro...e-180mm/385469 Iíve been told that these wonít remove swirls as they are more finishing pads.

so I went instore to waxit and they suggested Scholl s20 I gave that a shot with the same pads and again not much results it definitely did something but the scratches and swirls were still there under the sunlight. Right now I think the only thing holding me back from removing them is Iím using the wrong pads and I need cutting pads.

What pads would I need for the job and is there anyway I can change the backing plate of my polisher as Iím finding it way to big to handle being 180mm Iíve hear 5Ē plates are the best and there seems to be more pads available for that size

thanks for the help guys I appreciate it

I bought the Rocky DA about 3 years ago as my first DA after buffing cars since the early 90s with a rotary.

It's a waste of time of a machine, not only is the 8mm action lame but it wastes much of the power from the motor into noise and vibration. The only thing this DA is good for is creating numbness and tingles in your forearms, only need 5-10 mins and you'll get the idea.

I have since bought a number of Shinemate and Rupes machines. I keep the Rocky for the sole purpose of lending out the friends/acquaintances along with the shitty pad it came with; that way I don't need to lend out my good polishers. They soon gave up after attempting with the Rocky and pay me for corrections instead.

S20 black with navy blue spider pads works well on VAG paints.

But you need a better DA, since you already visit Waxit, buy the Shinemate 12mm DA or 15mm DA from them and go from there.

The SCA pads you have are fine for finishing, but they are not that cheap either given the quality.
      Last edited by EG30; 16-07-2018, 06:01 AM.

Comment

S20 is a very good all in one cutting / polish. If you have the green Rocky from SCA, get at least a 5 inch adaptor for it and some (3-4) ShineMate red/yellow pads. Check waxit australian web site for a very quick and very good intro into polishing. The guy in video (Sandro) runs his own youtube chanel. As he says do a 50cm by 50 cm test after one pass and take it from there.

Cheers

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Comment

The orange Lake Country ccs pads work for me.

Comment

Working...
          X