Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to prep cb500x motorcycle for Gtechniq C4

Hi guys,

Can anyone recommend using the following process to prepare for a Gtechniq C4 application?

Wash > Scrub with Nextzett Plastic Deep Cleaner > Wipe down with isopropyl > apply C4.

I was thinking of applying C4 to the matt white plastic fairing as well as the black and grey. Are there any limitations to the types of automotive exterior plastics that C4 can be applied to?

White matt plastic

White painted metal tank

Black matt plastic

Black matt textured plastic. Not sure if a textured plastic will do well with C4

Cheers
    Last edited by toast; 17-02-2019, 11:28 AM.

The process you have is perfect for the plastics, textured, patterned or flat, but uncoated. The white painted parts (that look gloss, not matte) should technically be decontaminated, polished, cleaned and then a paint- specific protection applied.

If you’’re after durability for wear (suitable for motorcycle application), then a more hearty ceramic would be preferable. If you’re after a show finish, look for a ceramic with high gloss.

FYI, a thorough cleaning is an important pre-coating application technique however the carrier solvents in ceramic coatings are happy taking a 90% prepped surface to 100%. So, do clean the surface thoroughly but don’t go crazy using 5 types of product just to prep the surface. Oil and grease free is far enough.
    Last edited by WristyManchego; 17-02-2019, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Thanks, Wristy. The white plastic is not like the shiny plastics I've polished on other bikes. It feels soft and is definitely a matte finish. I've got some mid-range quality polish and a range of pads for a rotary. I guess by decontamination you mean using a clay bar?

When you say a more hearty ceramic are you referring to Gtechiq's C4 as a bit on the lighter side of durability?
      Last edited by toast; 17-02-2019, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toast
        Thanks, Wristy. The white plastic is not like the shiny plastics I've polished on other bikes. It feels soft and is definitely a matte finish. I've got some mid-range quality polish and a range of pads for a rotary. I guess by decontamination you mean using a clay bar?

When you say a more hearty ceramic are you referring to Gtechiq's C4 as a bit on the lighter side of durability?
        Are you sure its matte? Im certain I can see a reflection on that tank shot. It would be strange to have a white gloss tank with white matte plastics adjoining.

The plastics may be soft but its the finish that matters. If its painted, the c4 will be a waste as its designed to penetrate into the pores of an uncoated plastic.

Carpro DLUX would be a good alternative. Its performance on uncoated plastics is similar to C4 but it can be used on paint and clear coats. Its formulated to be more resistant to contamination and is recommended for use on wheels.

The finish of DLUX is somewhat grabby and isnt slick to the touch but dont let that be an indicator of self-cleaning ability. It will blow away any slick feeling wax or sealant. A topper is recommended if youre chasing a slick feel.

Comment

Working...
        X