Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to start

Hi Guys,

I'm after advice on where to start for a beginner. Ie what hardware to buy when first starting out.

I have a small budget put aside and was tossing up between buying either a Contours C900 pack from waxit or a pressure washer + foam lance like a karcher .

I'm thinking logically it would be best to grab a pressure hose system first. It would save me money as i wouldn't need to take my car down the local car wash to use their high pressure hose system every weekend, so there's $5-$7 per week back in my pocket. Then there's the benifit of being able to wash my car at home, use better quality cleaning detergents etc then the car wash, and help prevent swirl marks by lifting off the dirt.

But then again, i really want a RO buffer.. I love buffing and polishing cars.

Or is there something even better i should be looking at?
    Last edited by STi06; 24-03-2014, 12:54 PM.

Your on the right track, get your washing of cars up to scratch then worry about paint correction!
    There is always the Rockwell da polisher from supercheap can get them for $80

Comment

Is there a recommended pressure washer and attachements to buy?

I know i'll need a foam lance and can grab one of those easily enough from waxit or woodywax.

Comment

I'd recommend picking up a Gerni or Karcher washer first and the kit from waxit with a Foam lance, wash mitt, drying towel and shampoo. Then when funds permit I'd go with the Total correction collection from waxit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

If you're a weekly washer I'd personally skip the foam lance/pressure washer as your car (reasonably speaking) won't get dirty enough to warrant it but get the C900 instead. Just don't let bugs/bird/bat poo dry and etch obviously.

Plus two buckets and sponge/MF cloths etc.
          Needs moar spoiler.

Comment

Would the Karcher K 2400 be suitable?

1700psi max, 350lm flow rate, detergent pickup for soap. So it should only need a foam lance ontop:

http://www.karcher.com.au/aus/Produc...s/16023020.htm

Linwe, thanks for the feedback. On reflection though i'm thinking the pressure washer is the way to go. I dont even do a two bucket method right now, no excuse just lazyness on my behalf. I intended to go down the two bucket method and buy some grit guards but never got around to it. Not to mention grit guards seem stupidly expensive to me. This why i drive up the road and use the local car wash foam and pressure system. I also am hoping anything that makes car washing easier will motivate my better half to actually wash her car more regularly. I guarantee i will soon have a threat titled something along the lines of "Help, my girlfriend's car's paint feels like sandpaper".

So to move foward, any recommendations on a good pressure system would be appreciated. No set budget but sub $500 including foam lance would be prefect. Happy to pay more for a pressure system that wont die after 12 months.
            Last edited by STi06; 24-03-2014, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by STi06 View Post
              Would the Karcher K 2400 be suitable?

1700psi max, 350lm flow rate, detergent pickup for soap. So it should only need a foam lance ontop:

http://www.karcher.com.au/aus/Produc...s/16023020.htm

Linwe, thanks for the feedback. On reflection though i'm thinking the pressure washer is the way to go. I dont even do a two bucket method right now, no excuse just lazyness on my behalf. I intended to go down the two bucket method and buy some grit guards but never got around to it. Not to mention grit guards seem stupidly expensive to me. This why i drive up the road and use the local car wash foam and pressure system. I also am hoping anything that makes car washing easier will motivate my better half to actually wash her car more regularly. I guarantee i will soon have a threat titled something along the lines of "Help, my girlfriend's car's paint feels like sandpaper".

So to move foward, any recommendations on a good pressure system would be appreciated. No set budget but sub $500 including foam lance would be prefect. Happy to pay more for a pressure system that wont die after 12 months.

That k2 is perfect for what u will be doing. I use one.
              sigpic

Comment

If it's just for a car a week I'd go the $98 karcher from bunnings and foam lance from any of the sponsers!
                I've had the cheap karcher for almost 2 yrs and wash 2 cars a week + around home duties never lets me down! Only problem the cord isn't long so have to carry it around the car

Comment

You will notice the substantial cost savings in your water bill by having a pressure washer, and the fact that you'd wash regularly I would urge that even stronger. Plus the pressure will allow you better cleaning abilities on wheels too.

Linwe does have a good point though if you consider yourself an efficient washer

Bon Vivant Automotive Care
                  Unit 1, 5-7 Macaulay Street, Williamstown North, Victoria 3016
                  T: (03) 9681 9770
                  W: bonvivantautocare.com.au
                  E: info@bonvivantautocare.com.au
                  FB: https://www.facebook.com/BonVivantAutomotiveCare

Comment

Thanks guys. Loving this community

Ok i've settled then on the Karcher K 2400 and a compatible foam gun attachment.

Few final questions:

Do i apply shampoo to the car via the pressure washer's lance? I assume you just put some car was shampoo concentrate into the pressure washer's detergent pickup and then spray it one with the lance.

Is there a special or particular types of soap that i should be using to apply via pressure washer?

Sorry for the million questions, did a quick search on the forums and didnt see this come up. Just want to make sure i buy everything i need at the same time.

I am intending to use the following

Karcher K 2.400
                    K series foam gun
                    Concours Blizzard Foaming
                    Meguiar's Gold Class Shampoo

Sound good?
                    Last edited by STi06; 24-03-2014, 04:58 PM.

Comment

You can but dedicated snow foams for the foam gun OR use a good shampoo in the lance. I would go the Pink Soap from woodywax.
                      The thing that you do, after your day job, in your free time, early in the morning or late at night. The thing you read about, write about, think about, fantasize about. that thing you do alone and theres no one to impress, nothing to prove, no money to be made, simply a passion to pursue. Thats it, thats your thing, thats your heart , your guide, Thats the thing you must, must do.

Comment

You put some soap / water in the foam lance, then get yourself 2 buckets one with Clean water the other soap / water! Ummm a good soap that you can use in the lance and wash bucket I'd go for the 1.9ltr of Megiuars goldclass wash or from detail Central he sells 3d pink soap which you can put in the lance and wash bucket aswell

Comment

Thanks guys, btw i edited my post for some further clarification.

But sounds exactly like what i thought.

Just put some shampoo concentrate into the pressure washer's detergent pickup and spray it on via the lance?

Comment

You put the soap in the foam lance plus water

Comment

Apologies, i've really ballsed up my terminologies.

I totally get the foam lance + soap.

I'm refering to how to apply the shampoo. So the next step after i've used the foam lance and the car is covered in foam. I assume i can apply a shampoo like Meguiar's Gold Class via putting the shampoo concentrate into the detergent pickup line of the pressure washer and spraying it over the car with the standard pressure washer attachment?
                              Last edited by STi06; 24-03-2014, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X