Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shinemate backing plate fowling?

Has anyone seen this happening before?

My backing plate it fowling on the housing of the machine and stopping the backing plate from doing the rotary action.

https://imgur.com/a/GF2kH

I've not dropped it, it's my baby so it can't be that... Surely i haven't bent the shaft from pushing on it! I've been going to the gym lol but i'm not that strong

I can't view the image where I am ATM but mine rubs a LOT from day 1.

I put a pad on it that I'd just washed to spin dry it, started on speed 1 and moved up once I couldn't see any more water coming out. Once up at higher speed, being out of balance made the rub even worse to the point where the plastic started to melt from the friction and that was with only a couple of seconds.

I've been meaning to look into if the washer mod is possible on these as I'm sure it's wasting energy. It's my only complaint with it.

Comment

I haven't seen it like that
      http://www.detailparadise.com.au/sho...5-Review-Sorta

Not that it should matter, but how much pressure do you put on it?
      Por que no los dos

Originally posted by SMOKEY
      Cheers Dan - but I think you're half the problem - why can't my paint look like yours after I've finished it!?! Unobtainable perfection! Haha

Comment

Originally posted by apsilon View Post
        I can't view the image where I am ATM but mine rubs a LOT from day 1.

I put a pad on it that I'd just washed to spin dry it, started on speed 1 and moved up once I couldn't see any more water coming out. Once up at higher speed, being out of balance made the rub even worse to the point where the plastic started to melt from the friction and that was with only a couple of seconds.

I've been meaning to look into if the washer mod is possible on these as I'm sure it's wasting energy. It's my only complaint with it.
        I sent waxit an email and they were really helpful. They stated "The shroud is meant to slightly rub on the backing plate to help with the thermoregulation process, creating different types of air currents to help the backing plate ventilate." which sounds fair enough to me. But my problem is that its actually tearing up the rubber and making tiny rubber chunks

Originally posted by KNGPN View Post
        I haven't seen it like that
        http://www.detailparadise.com.au/sho...5-Review-Sorta

Not that it should matter, but how much pressure do you put on it?
        I did wonder that myself but im like surely if i was pushing hard enough to bend the backing plate then i'd be doing all kinds of unspeakable things to the car i'm working on

Comment

Mine is far worse than that. I'll have to take a photo.

Comment

Originally posted by MitchH View Post
            I sent waxit an email and they were really helpful. They stated "The shroud is meant to slightly rub on the backing plate to help with the thermoregulation process, creating different types of air currents to help the backing plate ventilate." which sounds fair enough to me. But my problem is that its actually tearing up the rubber and making tiny rubber chunks
            Soooo...are they doing something for you? Or just wait til enough rubber is gone so it can thermoregulate (lol) properly?

Originally posted by MitchH View Post
            I did wonder that myself but im like surely if i was pushing hard enough to bend the backing plate then i'd be doing all kinds of unspeakable things to the car i'm working on
            lol yea for sure. I doubt the shaft is bent - it's probably a misalignment of the shroud. I remember one of the guys had a couple of zentools and one of the shrouds wasn't quite right and rubber on the BP. The other was fine.
            Por que no los dos

Cheers Dan - but I think you're half the problem - why can't my paint look like yours after I've finished it!?! Unobtainable perfection! Haha

Comment

Originally posted by KNGPN View Post
              Soooo...are they doing something for you? Or just wait til enough rubber is gone so it can thermoregulate (lol) properly?

lol yea for sure. I doubt the shaft is bent - it's probably a misalignment of the shroud. I remember one of the guys had a couple of zentools and one of the shrouds wasn't quite right and rubber on the BP. The other was fine.
              They have emailed me back and are more than willing to get it looked at under warranty :P very friendly support which is nice

Comment

Yea cool...would've been quite surprised if they didn't
                Por que no los dos

Comment

So, finally remembered to take those photos.

Now, most of those heavy marks were from spin drying a wet pad that put it out of balance more than expected but the shroud did (I say did because it has clearance now) rub out of the box. You could see it make contact at one point of the shroud just turning it by hand so either the backing plate isn't 100% flat or it's not true to the face of the shroud.

Comment

Working...
                  X