I need more cut

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need more cut

So this weekend I put to use my newly acquired Zentool ZEN-15 E2 and an array of newly bought pads.
    Firstly thank you to ZAS / Motor Active for help purchasing the Zentool 15. And thank you to you guys for your pad advice. In my amateur opinion the Zentool seemed to run great, very smooth, solid build, basically no noticeable vibration/hand fatigue and acceptable noise level.
    The pads from both Chemical Guys and the blue/orange ebay dual foam STPA seem to hold up well during use and cleaned out easy as well.
    I decided to tackle the roughest/worst looking car in the family fleet (our family owns an annoyingly large amount of cars) which was a green Land Rover Discovery 4.
    Now this car has had a very hard life. Itís lived outside probably most of it, it has gone on the beach a lot, and its first owner used it as a company car. So itís fair to say itís got a lot of scratches and wear on the paint.
    I initially tried compounding with a Hex-logic 5.25 inch orange cutting pad with meguiars ultimate compound. I still had a lot of scratching and swirls in certain areas so stepped up to a yellow heavy cutting pad. I even tried a dual foam STPA cutting pad and did more passes, but overall I did not get enough cut to remove a lot of scratches and heavy water spot etching.
    Now I expected that the deeper scratches would not be removed by the dual action however I was surprised by my lack of ability to remove lighter scratches and water spot etching.
    So I need your help!
    What compound would you recommend that could provide greater cut than meguiars ultimate compound Ďsafelyí on a dual action. I donít really care if itís DAT or SMAT, or its finishing capability, just heavier cut.
    Iím predicting some people may recommend using a microfibre cutting pad, which probably is good advice, however I really struggled to find a 5.25 or 5.5inch microfibre pad online. And the chemical guyís one, compared to their foam pads, has really bad reviews (it apparently falls apart after one use).
    Thank you all in advance for your help,
    JC.

Try scholl s3 xxl or menzerna 400

Comment

Recommending a Microfibre pad is exactly what I was going to do!

Hereís what youíre looking for https://www.zas.com.au/product/773/m...ck_5_inch.html
      Zen Automotive Suppliers Pty Ltd
      Premium Car Detailing Products & Accessories
      Email: sales@zas.com.au
      Like our Facebook Page

Comment

Remember technique also has a lot to do with it. Make sure youíre using slow and steady arm movements to allow the pad and abrasives to do their work.
        Zen Automotive Suppliers Pty Ltd
        Premium Car Detailing Products & Accessories
        Email: sales@zas.com.au
        Like our Facebook Page

Comment

Try reducing your work area. You might want to try Meguaires M105. I purchase a 4 x 1 litre bottle for less than $20.00 USD each from Amazon.com and some vendors do free shipping to Australia. However this was on the black Friday special. Ultimate compound is good for light swirls and scratches.

The idea is to remove the least amount of clearcoat possible. Once clearcoat is removed its gone and too much clearcoat removal then you are compromising the longevity of the paint before it needs a respray. I would use a heavy cutting compound for spots only where its required. Also think of the intended purpose of the car, ie daily drive, garage queen etc. I wouldn't be chasing paint perfection on a daily driver, especially if its expose to the elements all the time.
          Last edited by Grippy; 25-01-2018, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X