Soft Sticky Japanese Paint

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soft Sticky Japanese Paint

Hey guys, recently got myself a concours 900 as a birthday present from my mates and have been having fun with it on my NIGHTMARE BLACK Honda Accord Euro haha..
    I managed to correct most of my wash induced/dust/oxygen swirls which were pretty minor since they were detailed previously by Mozza who has done a great job. Now the problems that i encountered were as follows

Equipment
    Concours 900 with LC kompressor pad
    Menzerna sampler pack

Problem:
    I have been using the black/red kompressor pad (final finish) through out the entire car with no problems, occasionally the orange pad (with powerfinish) followed with the red/black combo when i can tell that there are deeper swirls. All came out nice and dandy. EXCEPT when i had a look at my drivers side, I could see holograms and polish residue no matter how much i try to remove them with Carpro eraser. I re-tried the same combo orange followed with red/black pad and still could see some buffer trails/holograms and especially at the bottom part of the driver door, there was alot of polish residue left which had to be wiped several times to only remove like 70% of it. Wiping more would result in swirling the paint again zzz.. My question is, is it my polishing technique thats causing the buffer trail? (im pretty sure of that haha) but the rest of the car is fine when i examined it. Just the area around my drivers door when theres a curvature 2/3rds down the door thats causing me problems. Would buying a small size pad and plate make it easier to polish ? Should i be removing buffer trails/holograms with a more aggressive or a less aggressive combo?

Thanks for the help in advance! especially mozza i hope you see this thread!.
    PS: I bought HD Uno after looking around mozza's thread and spat at my menzerna polish, hopefully when it comes it will help.

It seems to me like your working to big of an area. For some reason I have found that the polish residue sticks like a bitch if your spreading it too far. Even using IPA/Erasor it is still evident.

Using a clean black kompressor on speed 1 and no pressure will remove it though and then work in a smaller section.

Menzerna is fantastic but for Subaru and Honda sometimes it can be a bit annoying
    Elite Finish
    Adelaide Detailer

0433 700 139
    www.elitefinish.com.au
    hamish@elitefinish.com.au
    https://www.facebook.com/elitefinish

Comment

Yep, no pressure, seems to do the trick on sticky paint

Comment

Hey mate, it's great to hear you are having a go and that you got a good machine. I tend to agree here, make sure the area is not to big, work the polish in well on the black pad and on the final couple of passes reduce the speed right down, and move the machine slowly not quickly across and up and down. I find this helps in reducing the holograms. you only need 4 or 5 pea sized dollops of UNO on the pad. Less is more with UNO, you can also try HD polish, looks fantastic on Honda black.
        Last edited by Mozza1976; 04-09-2012, 10:37 PM.
        sigpicwww.reflection-perfection.com.au

https://www.facebook.com/reflectperfectdetailing

Comment

Hey guys thanks for the fast replies.
          On the driver door I split it into 4 parts, is that still too big? And I use 3 pea size of FF on a black pad, dab it onto the paint surface, then spread with speed 1 evenly before moving to speed 3. I think I should have slow the speed down when I'm finishing, but didn't realized I should do that =[ will try that when HD UNO comes along

Comment

I don't think your working it in and taking it off before it's done the job. Menzerna needs to break down and go much clearer before it can be taken off without marring.

This process takes a bit longer with a c900
            Elite Finish
            Adelaide Detailer

0433 700 139
            www.elitefinish.com.au
            hamish@elitefinish.com.au
            https://www.facebook.com/elitefinish

Comment

Erm, I usually work it till it looks like there's no more polish left and u can see some gloss within. Should I work all the way up to speed 5 for polishing ?

Comment

HD UNO arrived today! First impressions were they are a very watery based polish, abit hard to determine how much I need. I decided to use lesser this time round compared to the Menzerna, and they work very well with my red kompressor pad. I did try it with the black kompressor first but didn't seem to remove previous buffer trails. After polishing, I tried a wipe down with plenty or eraser, sprayed all over panel, soak for 30 seconds, spray on my cloth, and wipe it off. Still could see plenty to hazing even though I worked the polish with 6 passed at speed 4.5 and 4 passes at speed 1 recommended by you guys. In the end I used IPA 50/50 and wipe off with firm pressure and most of it came off. But I could see I created horizontal swirls from wiping, still not as bad compared to an unpolished panel.
                The thing is I've tried polishing my hood, boot and roof with Menzerna and kompressor about 1month ago, didn't encounter all these problems, minimal marring, minimal hologram.
                I feel like maybe its cause the pads are clogged up (I wash it immediately everytime I use it, tumble it and hang it). Kinda annoying me now.
                Ended up doing the whole of drivers door and boots, both with same results, looks good but with horizontal swirls, and after I sealed it with Wolfgang it look less apparent.
                Sad that I can't apply my cquartz anytime soon.

Comment

I have been using UNO a bit lately and less is definitely the way to go .. 5 pea sized dobs first dose on a 6.5 inch pad then 3-4 dots each time after that... make sure you brush the pad after each pass to clear the spent polish and paint.. work the polish till its almost broken down on speed 4 Concourse900 then drop speed to 2 and no pressure to finish down .. It should wipe off without eraser but if you do use it just a light Spitz and make sure you have good quality MF's as you can get haze scratching from cheap MF's. You could be inducing holograms by inadvertently tipping the machine off flat as you work down the profile of the doors... as soon as its not flat it's making trails.
                  Also the compressor pads are a pain in the arse to clean and if you dont get dried up menzerna polish out ..it will scratch..
                  Last edited by bluering; 05-09-2012, 10:44 PM.
                  "The bitterness of poor quality remains
                  long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." -Benjamin Franklin

Relax......... I'm from the internet!

Comment

Ok, what I think you need to do now is start again on the problem panels, wash them down dry then give them an IPA wipe down.

I use the lake country ccs flat pads for hondas. And only them as I get the best results from them on Honda. 6.5 inch will do you. I would probably go a white pad with UNO and only 4 or 5 pea sized drops. One speed down from the highest on the concours, work it down well to clear, finish off on speed 1 or 2 at slow movement. Wipe off as much as you can lightly with not too much pressure without using eraser at this point. After you have wiped off as much as you can then hit it with eraser, then ipa wipe down. Use a different towel for the eraser and IPA wipe down. I would then use a polish like hd polish on a black ccs pad, again a tiny amount is only needed. This should knock out any marring or holograms and add high gloss to the finish. Start the machine slowly and gradually build speed up, so I would start up on speed two with each pass increase speed by 2 then reverse the process on the way back decreasing pressure as you wind back the speed. Repeat the process with the wipe down again, Again use clean towels for each process, it's vitally important when dealing with black Honda. Make sure you keep the pad flat on the panel and the pad is sitting evenly on the backing plate.

If at the point after using UNO the marring remains give it another pass. Remember lighten the pressure of the machine towards the end and slow down the speed. And also remember that light pressure when wiping the polish off. To much pressure and Honda will punish you.

Hope this helps mate. Without seeing it, it's hard to determine exactly what maybe needed but going what you describe this could help.

Edit, Menzerna is a magnificent polish but can be difficult to deal with on super softs.
                    Last edited by Mozza1976; 05-09-2012, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Haha will give it a go after nov, at the moment I just removed all polish n sealed w Wolfgang first. Don't have the time to finish the whole car ( I only wash, trix n clayed the drivers door anyways, remainder of the car still has wolfgang from before). I have been using the green edge less aquatouch MF from waxit. Do I have to finish with HD polish? Now I have smth else to buy haha....thanks for all your help btw.. I will try n take a picture w my camera when I have time. Btw mozza u should start a tutorial specifically for Nightmare black Hondas, would be happy to attend lol.

Comment

lol what he said ... I also use ccs pads

the green edge less aquatouch MF from waxit are good. .
                        Last edited by bluering; 05-09-2012, 10:22 PM.

Comment

mozza the master on hnhb has spoken
                          Last edited by LIBERTYRX1; 05-09-2012, 10:28 PM.
                          The thing that you do, after your day job, in your free time, early in the morning or late at night. The thing you read about, write about, think about, fantasize about. that thing you do alone and theres no one to impress, nothing to prove, no money to be made, simply a passion to pursue. Thats it, thats your thing, thats your heart , your guide, Thats the thing you must, must do.

Comment

LoL, not the master, it's always a learning experience with Honda. But you soon get to know what works and what doesn't. And sometimes it does your head in, but trying different things you will and should always find a way out.
                            Blue, your info was very good too.

Comment

I have already cut n paste your instructions into my cheat notes...MASTER

Comment

Working...
                              X