Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New addition to the garage - G6E Turbo paint correction

Hi all!

It's been a little while since I've posted a detail as I continue work on my house. My brother bought himself a Ford G6E Turbo this week and it needed some serious work, and we knew just the people for the job!

We knew the paint needed work when we bought it, but we definitely underestimated how much work it would need. It turned out that the scratches that looked like holograms were really deep, and we'd end up wet sanding the whole car.

It all began one winter afternoon...

The car looked ok at a distance but the sun didn't lie when you got close.

The holograms we thought would clean up the easiest, but they were super deep.

Although this was more of a paint correction than a full detail, we started with the wheels as normal.

We then soaked the car in an aggressive snow foam to strip off anything that may be on the paint and to loosen grit, then high-pressure hosed it off. We washed the car afterwards and moved it inside.

We measured the paint and confirmed that a few panels at the rear had been resprayed, which we had picked up on when purchasing the car. We always take paint depth gauges with us when purchasing vehicles. The paint was only a little thicker than factory paint with no major bog found.

One panel in particular suffered from terrible orange peel, the worst I'd seen. We knew we had to address this.

I started with a 3M 1500 grit clear coat sanding disk to knock the tops of the orange peel off.

I then moved to a 2000 grit sia wet sanding pad to continue sanding the panel (I did half the panel at a time).

I then cut the flat areas on the panel twice with the orange Lake Country pad and HD Cut using the rotary polisher. The panel edges got the same treatment with the black wool pad and HD Cut on the Bigfoot21. Then the whole panel was glossed with HD Polish on the black Lake Country finishing pad on the Bigfoot21 as well.

Jibbs was trying to see if he could get enough cut with the wool, but in the end we decided we needed to sand the whole car to fix these hologram-looking scratches that were super deep. Even after 3 passes of HD Cut on the wool pad and all other scratches were gone, the holograms remained and it made the car look terrible, especially when paint is your thing. So the sanding began.

I was keeping an eye in paint depth and being cautious around the high points in the paint to ensure I didn't go through a ton of clear coat as this car has many years ahead of it.

To remove the wet sanding marks, we cut each panel twice with HD Cut. We used the rotary with the orange Lake Country pad for the flat areas and Concours and/or Bigfoot 21 with the wool pad on the edges/creases to make sure the aggressive rotary didn't cause any damage. We then took the car outside as we went to ensure we have removed all sanding marks.

To give you an idea of the cutting power of the rotary over the best dual-action random orbital we have, I did a side by side on the bonnet (with no wet sanding) just to see how much damage each could take out. The Bigfoot21 using wool on the left taking about 30 seconds to complete, and the rotary using the orange Lake Country on the right taking 10 seconds.

Here is the before photo:

And after:

You can see how much more work the rotary does in a much shorter time and how much better the result was. Not only did it cut out so much more damage, it's so much more clear as well. The downside is the increase in risk to damaging the paint if you're not careful, which is why I stuck to using it only on the flat parts of panels.
    Last edited by AussieTimmeh; 06-08-2017, 06:12 PM.
    Timmeh!!!

Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

Want some tips to help with taking detailing photos? Click here!

Once we'd finished sanding and compounding the car, we could do some before-and-after comparisons. This is still prior to polish.

Some very deep scratches remained but fortunately they were few and hard to see.

As we worked on the rear bumper, we saw polish residue from the previous detailer vibrate out onto the garage floor, haha.

We kept taking the car outside to check the progress as the weather was beautiful.

A roll-call of the tools. From left to right: The rotary used for heavy compounding, the Bigfoot21 random orbital for large panel polishing, the trusty Concours random orbital for medium panel polishing, the Griots 4 inch random orbital for all my wet sanding needs, and the drill pad for really small tight work.

These two came out to keep us company and to keep an eye on the cat across the road.

We were just about done. We went over the entire car with HD Polish on the finishing pad for that nice ultimate gloss.

We had quite a bit of Wolf's Hard Body to get through so we applied a coat. Here are the final results:

I then took it for a drive for a few more photos for my brother. The car drives very nicely and has a very healthy amount of torque!

Some final before and afters:

The paint looks so different depending on the light:

Thanks for looking! Total man hours: 40

I am sure Jibbs will thoroughly enjoy his new ride now.

Last edited by AussieTimmeh; 06-08-2017, 06:12 PM.
    Timmeh!!!

Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

Comment

Wow, what an effort!!! Well worth it, awesome results. Great write up and photos too. I like the chameleon effect on the paint on those last photos
      So out of interest, how long do you keep the sanding disks on the panels and at what speed when you are wet sanding by machine?
      To date I have only wet sanded by hand and in isolated spots. I would feel way too scared to run the sanding disks across the whole car as wouldn't it cut through the paint in seconds with a machine?

Comment

nice work as usual boys
        The thing that you do, after your day job, in your free time, early in the morning or late at night. The thing you read about, write about, think about, fantasize about. that thing you do alone and theres no one to impress, nothing to prove, no money to be made, simply a passion to pursue. Thats it, thats your thing, thats your heart , your guide, Thats the thing you must, must do.

Comment

What an awesome detail... Love your work

Comment

Good to see you back with another write up.

Still a huge fan of your work mate and hope the home build is going well [emoji846]

Amazing turn around after all that wet sanding.

Stunning stuff [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LIBERTYRX1 View Post
              nice work as usual boys
              Originally posted by GTX3582r View Post
              What an awesome detail... Love your work
              Thanks guys!

Originally posted by kRaz View Post
              Wow, what an effort!!! Well worth it, awesome results. Great write up and photos too. I like the chameleon effect on the paint on those last photos
              So out of interest, how long do you keep the sanding disks on the panels and at what speed when you are wet sanding by machine?
              To date I have only wet sanded by hand and in isolated spots. I would feel way too scared to run the sanding disks across the whole car as wouldn't it cut through the paint in seconds with a machine?
              Thanks! Yeah, definitely a wet sanding pad will be cutting through the clear coat faster than a polishing pad. I try to keep it flat and away from any ridges where it will cut down the clear coat super fast. I'm running the 4 inch Griots at speed 4, and it doesn't take long to sand down. I'm moving about 3 times faster than a polishing pass and keeping it very wet. But it doesn't rip the paint off as fast as you might think. 2000 grit is still pretty fine. I only used 1500 grit on the panel with loads of orange peel.

I'd recommend practicing on an old panel if you have the option. I did some before and after measures, and at worst it seems like I took off about 5 microns. But the car had tons of paint on it and we'll do our best to keep the paint from being damaged again so it was worth it.
              Last edited by AussieTimmeh; 07-08-2017, 01:55 PM.
              Timmeh!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cheekyage View Post
                Good to see you back with another write up.

Still a huge fan of your work mate and hope the home build is going well [emoji846]

Amazing turn around after all that wet sanding.

Stunning stuff
                Thanks for the welcome back. I cannot wait for this house renovation to end so I can spend more time here again. I prefer the polisher to the jackhammer! And I'm really proud of the result, especially after what a difficult week it's been with this car.
                Timmeh!!!

Comment

Awesome work on a great looking car.
                  Thanks for posting I love seeing the turn around that can be achieved

Comment

Unbelievable!

I have a feeling that guy down the road will need some more tuition

Comment

Originally posted by Big Damo View Post
                      Awesome work on a great looking car.
                      Thanks for posting I love seeing the turn around that can be achieved
                      Thanks Damo. When I first started, these threads really helped me learn, so I hope they give back and help others as well as being enjoyable to read.

Originally posted by ZR36 View Post
                      Unbelievable!

Haha, that guy is always welcome to drop by. And cheers!
                      Timmeh!!!

Comment

Just out of interest, what products and ratio did you use as part of your snow foam decon on this one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cheekyage View Post
                          Just out of interest, what products and ratio did you use as part of your snow foam decon on this one?
                          I've got a couple bottles of IronX snow foam to use up, so I put about an inch of that, an inch of CT18 truck wash, and an inch of Megs Gold Class, then fill the lance up with water from there. I normally would put an inch of Simple Green in as well but I need to buy some more. This is for the pre-polish strip only. Once a coating or sealant is applied, I only use a standard ph-neutral car wash in the snow foam.
                          Timmeh!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ZR36 View Post
                            Unbelievable!

very true. No need to ask any more questions on vw watercooled when you have DP and Timber up the road
                            The thing that you do, after your day job, in your free time, early in the morning or late at night. The thing you read about, write about, think about, fantasize about. that thing you do alone and theres no one to impress, nothing to prove, no money to be made, simply a passion to pursue. Thats it, thats your thing, thats your heart , your guide, Thats the thing you must, must do.

Comment

That looks Falcon awesome, AT. Absolutely gorgeous result!

Mick
                              MY09 Senator Signature
                              Cleaned --- Protected --- Driven

Comment

Working...
                              X