First attempt - have to start somewhere

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First attempt - have to start somewhere

So after some reading and then some more reading i figured it was time to have a crack at my first car. We finally had some decent weather on the weekend of the 19th so I had the best intentions to dive in then but mother nature had other ideas in preparation I thought I would have a bit of an early spring clean and move some stuff from the garage to the back shed to free up room for detailing. Sounded like a good idea at the time. Loaded a couple of spare engines I had plus some other items into the trailer and took it round the back, well most of the way around the back.

For your entertainment here is how I started my first weekend (Saturday arvo and most of Sunday it was just too wet) of detailing, removing my G6E from the backyard................

Well when I finally got the car out I didn't feel like detailing anything so I hit it with the genri and left it on the driveway for the rest of the week.

Yesterday was perfect no rain just overcast so I collected my gear and headed out. Plan for my first attempt was:
    2 bucket wash
    Clay bar
    Rewash
    Apply Duragloss 601 then 105
    Finish with Aquawax

I managed to get the wash and clay done in the afternoon and rewashed the car before putting it back in the garage for the night. Man as a beginner it takes me way longer than those guys on youtube to do these things! No doubt I will get better with practice. This morning I applied the 601 and a coat of 105. I am a little unsure of whether I need to apply a second coat of 105 as there seems to be different views in what I have read so for now I am at least waiting until tomorrow before I finish it off with the aquawax.

Considering the car is only 15 months old it is in pretty good shape to start with so the end result isn't a miraculous transformation but it is an improvement and certainly the first time it has been done properly (yeah my bad). Once I can afford to increase my collection and include a DA I can start to look at correction work as well, in particular the swift in the background is an up coming task that I have determined is too much to be done by hand.

Any ways here are some shots for review, please don't be too harsh on the newbie

Cheers CJ

Starting point

Doesn't look too bad

Finished product

A little better

A closer look

The 601/105 combo is great. If my experience is anything to go by, you should get around 12 months worth of protection out of it.

Mick
    MY09 Senator Signature
    Cleaned --- Protected --- Driven

Comment

Awesome looking car CJ. Came up a treat after your off road expedition

Damo
      Last edited by Big Damo; 30-08-2017, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys, after the backyard effort I was seriously wondering why I ever got rid of the Prado

CJ

Comment

Good job Cj. Durations combo works a treat.

Sent from my SGP771 using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks good mate. Had a chuckle at the car in the grass but it's come up great.
            Timmeh!!!

Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

Want some tips to help with taking detailing photos? Click here!

Comment

Working...
            X