Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Test panel shot: first attempt at using a rotary (FWIW)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test panel shot: first attempt at using a rotary (FWIW)

Here's a photo of my first attempt at using a rotary. Panel is from a black Ford Festiva.
    Products:
    Mothers pre-wax cleaner on both sides equally by hand
    SSR 2.5
    Classic Edge Green. (sorry - I had said Blue here initially, but it was Green. I did do a bit of polishing with SSR 1.0 and Blue as a first step, but wasn't going to mention that for the sake of brevity, because switching to the SSR 2.5 would presumably "undo" that work to a large extent)

Greg.

Nice job!
    Wax `Em Auto Detailing
    Perth Western Australia

Comment

looks the goods..

Thats a black panel?
      Phantom 2006 VZ SS

Comment

Thanks.

Yes, black - doesn't look jet black because of the photo exposure & very bright halogens. Might take the panel outdoors and get a more natural photo and see how shiny it really is.

Greg.

Comment

Good job, is gratifying when you do your first corretion and it turs out good. My Black VX looks brown :? in bright light on different angles.

Comment

great stuff greg

how do u find a rotary to control? weird?

Comment

Boys and their new toys :roll:

:P

Looking good

Comment

Originally posted by brendans225
                how do u find a rotary to control? weird?
                So far it seems fine, although a relatively flat bonnet is probably a lot easier than other parts of the vehicle. Note that I'm not experienced with any kind of machine polishing at all yet. As I have said before I didn't have any success with a ROB when I tried it but I may revisit it on friendlier paint at some stage. But I like the smoothness of the rotary and the lack of vibration - I think it would be cool if I could master it.

Greg.

Comment

looks good !
                  was it intimidating for a first time ?

from the videos i've seen, it seems like with a rotary people move much quicker ? would be good to know whats the correct method...

Comment

Originally posted by buja
                    looks good !
                    was it intimidating for a first time ?
                    Being a test panel, I wasn't at all worried about damaging it, of course. The main issue was that because I had only made things WORSE when I had used a ROB, I was sort of anxious about how much practise I would have to do (with any machine) to get a result. I.e, it seemed like there might be something wrong with me, because everyone else seemed to be able to do it.

from the videos i've seen, it seems like with a rotary people move much quicker ? would be good to know whats the correct method...
                    Yes, I know what you mean, and I have read that one can move quicker with a rotary. However, I found that I got the best results when I moved quite slowly (although still not quite as slowly as is recommended for a ROB) - I don't think I was breaking down the polish fully when I moved faster. Anyway early days yet.

The faster speed is another reason I am keen about the rotary. In order to get a lot of practise, I think I will have to polish other people's cars. And if I'm going to do that, I want to do it as quickly and as quietly as possible. (yes, I have a vague plan to perhaps go semi-professional at some stage, to pay for the hobby etc)

Greg.

Comment

Working...
                    X