Metal Halide Spot Light with Manfrotto Tripod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Halide Spot Light with Manfrotto Tripod

When i do a paint correction on a car i use a Metal Halide Flood Light of 150 watt to illuminate the paint. The difference between MH & HL are the following :

Halogen lights do give out more heat which is no good in summer , alright for the cold winter months ,but not for our very hot Australian Summers !
    They give out a yellow light which is no good if you want to inspect for scratches and swirl marks ! Plus you have an incandescent globe which is prone to break because of the filament . In order to achieve the same light as MH ,you need two 500 watt globes.

One Metal Halide of 150 watts gives out a white light of 4500 Kalven or more, almost as bright as sunlight
    and because it uses gas in the globes it won't break like Halogen does.
    Vibration or sudden movements does not effect this light at all .

Which is why i researched an alternative form of light to HL, which would create very bright white light without the heat buildup on paint .

I have one MH light of 150 watts on a Professional Manfrotto Photographic Tripod with Castor wheels so you can move it around without dragging it from
    one spot to another. This has worked very well for me, i would say that all my jobs have been 100% without reworks ! This Tripod has been modified to adapt my Lamp.

Instead of taking the car out in direct sunlight to check for swirls, you can now do the job inside and be done with it knowing that it will be 100%.

That saves you time and money !

Here are the pics !

Thanks for reading !

Regards Mario

Thank Mario for explaning the differences to us.

Just wondering what is the cost of Metal Halide lights.

Cheers Dave
    sigpic

Comment

Yeah I would like ot know also the cost and where to get them. I have only seen the large ones in commercial/light industrial warehouses and in servos...

And I agree with the heat from hallogen, you almost get a tan!!!!!!

Comment

thanks for the write up. I would also like to know where to get my hands on one.
        Southern NSW's most trusted Auto Detailer & New Car Protection Centre.

Browse | www.customcarcarewagga.com.au
        Follow | @customcarcarewagga
        Tag | #customcarcarewagga
        Call | 02 69 254741
        Email | info@customcarcarewagga.com.au
        FB | www.facebook.com/customcarcarewagga

Visit Us:
        44 Pearson Street
        Wagga Wagga
        NSW 2650

Comment

Manfrotto Tripod and what looks like a studio light head = $$$$! but yeah, I'd like to know also Mario please especially about the tripod as I need the reach for doing 4x4 roofs.

Richard

Comment

When talking to Mario about this a few weeks back there was mention of around $1500 all up i think if i remember correctly. Mario please let me know if this is not correct.

Comment

Bugger the light, I'm more interested in the Camaro and what you did with it? Is it the one painted in HOK Brandy Wine KBC with Ice White over white stripes?

What was up with it?

Comment

Thanks for the detailed information and photos Mario.

I thought it may have been that type of setup having had a mother and sister who were both photographers.

I bet that extra height you get from the tripod is very handy.

Again thanks for all the info.

Comment

I have got to say that metal halide lights are excellent, did a mustang today chasing small swirls and without the metal lights in the shed where I was working it would have been a major pain.
                  Neil
                  Itīs not clean until itīs SQUEAKER clean

Comment

Originally posted by MrGloss
                    Bugger the light, I'm more interested in the Camaro and what you did with it? Is it the one painted in HOK Brandy Wine KBC with Ice White over white stripes?

What was up with it?
                    Will post on the Camaro very soon !!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Regards Mario
                    www.euroglossprestige.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by Squeaker2
                      I have got to say that metal halide lights are excellent, did a mustang today chasing small swirls and without the metal lights in the shed where I was working it would have been a major pain.
                      Neil
                      Neil , that i found out many years ago when i was using Halogen Crap !
                      Very deceiving ! Looks perfect inside as soon as you drive out swirl marks galore :? That's why i invested in this system !

I have never looked back ! I am thinking of getting a second one so i don't have shades when looking at the paint !

Regards Mario

Comment

Originally posted by Marlin1
                        Thanks for the detailed information and photos Mario.

I thought it may have been that type of setup having had a mother and sister who were both photographers.

I bet that extra height you get from the tripod is very handy.

Again thanks for all the info.
                        Stuart, i bought this set up back in 2001, the Manfrotto Tripod with lockable castor wheels ( Optional) was $ 440.00 that was back in 2001 ! Included in the package was a spigot that fits on top of the tripod to secure the spotlight !
                        The Spot light set up idea comes from a show room ( Cars ) view GT-R 35 thread !

In total i spent around close $ 670.00 again that was in 2001 so i think for
                        a system like this you would probably pay $ 1000.00 .
                        It is worth every dollar ! You will recoupe this outlay in the first year no problem !

It will pick up every single defect on the paint to the point of driving you crazy :x

And comes in very handy when doing FWD'S ! :P

Regards Mario

Comment

Working...
                        X