Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window treatments

Hi all,
    We are in the process of building our new home and was wondering if treating the external windows with some of the water repellent treatments discussed here is a good idea. Obviously not want to get the $100/ml stuff but a good general good quality one. This will hopefully work two ways as it will make cleaning the windows (for me) easier and keep the CEO happy.

Any suggestions??

Thanks

Angelwax H2Go is the only one I'll use. Love that stuff and so quick easy.

Detailing is an art, a gift and a curse. Use it wisely

Comment

Originally posted by BobsRX8GT View Post
      Angelwax H2Go is the only one I'll use. Love that stuff and so quick easy.

This

Comment

Any benefit to something like anglewax H2Go over just using a wax for the windows?

Comment

Window treatments

You will prob have more issues with dust attraction with the wax
          Last edited by gammachan; 04-01-2016, 08:44 PM.

Comment

H2Go is designed specifically for glass. It will adhere to the glass easier and will be clearer for longer. Dirt and dust wont stick to it and rain water will literally fall off the surface.

Comment

Good luck! With the hard staining water of Perth, you're going to need it lol!

Comment

I do believe there is glass available that has hydrophobic / hydrophyllic behavior. No idea who makes it or how much it costs as it usually used in commercial buildings.
                "Perfection is lots of little things done well." Fernand Point

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfgang View Post
                  I do believe there is glass available that has hydrophobic / hydrophyllic behavior. No idea who makes it or how much it costs as it usually used in commercial buildings.
                  Crystal Process has a hydrophilic spray coating.

Comment

Originally posted by Matty View Post
                    Crystal Process has a hydrophilic spray coating.
                    So Dealer Paint Protection for your windows?
                    "Perfection is lots of little things done well." Fernand Point

Comment

I think you are right Wolfgang, working at the new hospital there (Fiona Stanley) I noticed the windows after a year there the water just beads off. Funnily enough even the dust/dirt does not stick. Hence why I put it out there on this site.
                      Remember that the amount of windows I am wanting to treat is probably the equivalent of 50 cars !!! so looking for a good and quick application. Probably use a pressure cleaner and a good AP window detergent first.

Matty: I am not using bore reticulation at the home only mains water. Cleaner than the eastern states water surely.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfgang View Post
                        So Dealer Paint Protection for your windows?
                        With the amount of 'manufacturers' they supply lol, I'm kind of surprised that this product is not really out there.

Comment

Hydrophyllic = water loving
                          Hydrophobic = water hating

Why would you want hydrophyllic treatment on windows (to hold water) and not hydrophobic (to remove the water).

Is it because hydrophobic products bead?

Comment

Not as cut and dry as water loving and water hating Michael... superhydrophilic surfaces (think building windows.. and even treated car windows to some extent are and can be more effective at removing water than hydrophobic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RwL_zEEr24
                            “I know that I don’t know anything more than you know. Really… There are no experts. There is only the integrity of doing and having done.” Terence McKenna

FinishPro Detailing Enhancements
                            Web: www.finishpro.com.au Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/finishproAU/ Email: sales@finishpro.com.au

Comment

Current status.

House finally finished. Well finished 6 months ago, but with the final inspection we found some defects and poor workmanship and they then delayed repairs until done. They argued that the home is still livable until those were rectified. We said no. So we got an independent person out to investigate. We were right. In the process one of the bathrooms was to have solid bricks on all three walls (its designed for our disabled daughter) to house a hoist and a drying table. So needs to be solids. Was on plans and contract. Brickies did not do it, site supervisor signed off on it but was not done. So they had to knock the entire bathroom out and start again.
                              Final inspection again and our independent building inspector noted that the toilet in this bathroom does not meet standards... needs to be a minimum of 450 from the centre of the toilet to the edge of the wall. This measured 380. They then said what you are going to fight and get us to rip it up all over again for a mere 7cm!!!. I have now forwarded that to the building commissioner to assess. They are not happy and are now accusing us of knowing this prior to the completion of the build...... In the hads of the Building authorities.
                              Many other things not done as per the contract and plans..... so if you are intending to build look carefully at every detail and take photos during the build and act quickly at each step if you know what you are looking at.

Anyway I digress as the topic of this post is the window treatment.

The windows are somewhat clean and now that we are about to get the keys I am going to start to clean (especially the outside) the windows and treat them with the suggested H2Go. I noticed on one of our major doors there are splodges of silicone left from sealing the door frame. After scraping off the silicone, what would be the best way to ensure a clean surface there. I am assuming its going to have different properties due to the silicone.

I'm going to take my time to work on these over the next few weeks and probably do one window, beer, another window, beer, another window, beer ...... (sound familiar)

So the plan is wash window with a good quality window washing detergent - I will look a the show and shine posts here for what some have used on cars. Then dry and apply
                              H2Go. Treat and repeat the H2Go again. Then move on to the next window (after the beer has been applied to the operator).
                              Is it worth doing the inside window with one application??? or use an alternative (cheaper one- RainX ??.

As the western side of the home will get the majority of the weather in winter, I will be applying several coats to the two major doors and window on that side.

I think the next few weeks would be best for me to commence this work as I think we have had our fair share of rain (17th Dec was enough rain for a year thankyou very much)

Merry Christmas to all and here is to a better 2018.
                              Keep safe and healthy and be good to all.

Comment

Working...
                              X