Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Mazda 2 - TNCC

Hi Guys,

This weekend I tackled this little Mazda 2.
    The owner previously thought he would polish the car himself (Props to him for giving it a go atleast). He said he used Armor All Polish? and worked on it in the garage. He was saying how he thought it looked great but then when he reversed it out into the sun he noticed what he had just done (I'm not so sure I would of wanted to see his reaction). The car had 20,000kms on it so fairly new. On first appearance I was shocked as to the damage that had been caused.

The Mazda paint was ridiculously low & the paint was sticky. Being black wasn't helping. I advised the customer straight away that due to the thin amount of paint I may not be able to remove all swirls/marks & achieve a 100% correction. I ended up running with a Scholl S17+ on Orange LC CCS Pad. Only Achieving around a 80%correction result and this is where I ask...what would you have done?

I really felt a more course combo than the Orange LC CCS pad with S17+ was needed but was a little unsure due to the dangerously low paint levels (Not once did I get a reading over 100microns), I tried the Menzerna 2500 on Yellow pad aswell but thought I was getting best results with the Scholl & CCS and stuck with that. I just wasn't confident in using any wool pad or harsher combo on this car.

Here is how the day progressed:

This was of the roof, the rest of the car was much the same, never getting a reading over 100microns

Bonnet 50/50 (Left side before-Right side after), Showing just how much damage was caused prior

Front Bar Before

Front Bar After (Marks Below are just polish residue that needs to be wiped

Front Half of car done

Moving on to the Right side

50/50

Before

After

Guard, Front Door & Half rear door done

Left Side, Door 50/50

Rear Right Door Before

Right Rear Door After

Random Boot Shot

Duragloss Sealant was applied & Interior got a basic clean to

Final Shots, Sorry about the sun, My camera didn't live up to the task, I'm really due to upgrade, I should of taken more as well

Thanks for looking and feedback welcome
    Last edited by Mathias; 21-10-2013, 11:21 AM.
    sigpic
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/topnotchcarcare
    Email: info@topnotchcarcare.com.au

Wow that looks amazing.
    But the ultimate question of how and when is enough, enough was something I faced with that Subaru.
    Top notch with what you were working with.

Comment

Nice nice Matt. What happened to rear door ????
      The thing that you do, after your day job, in your free time, early in the morning or late at night. The thing you read about, write about, think about, fantasize about. that thing you do alone and theres no one to impress, nothing to prove, no money to be made, simply a passion to pursue. Thats it, thats your thing, thats your heart , your guide, Thats the thing you must, must do.

Comment

Nice work Matt.

You could probably go a bit harder with the polishing and use a coating.

Modesta sell a product for this situation, their P-01A primer. I'm still waiting for mine to turn up and test, but I think it will be similar to what that Glare polish was.

Paint like that is always going to be a problem, and seems to be more and more the norm nowdays.

Comment

Originally posted by Matty View Post
          Nice work Matt.

You could probably go a bit harder with the polishing and use a coating.

Modesta sell a product for this situation, their P-01A primer. I'm still waiting for mine to turn up and test, but I think it will be similar to what that Glare polish was.

Paint like that is always going to be a problem, and seems to be more and more the norm nowdays.
          Got a link to see this product?

Comment

Really not much more could be done with those paint readings.
            And what you did compered to before is an awesome turnaround.
            That Modesta stuff might be good but is ridiculously expensive. Let us know what you think Matty and if it's worth the price.
            sigpic

0416-287-772
            https://www.facebook.com/i2detail

Comment

Decent save there Matt.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by canberra_fozza View Post
                Got a link to see this product?
                Google it mate, but make sure you're sitting down first lol!

Comment

Originally posted by tonyf View Post
                  That Modesta stuff might be good but is ridiculously expensive. Let us know what you think Matty and if it's worth the price.
                  Yeah will do. My Honda is about to the point where polishing is out of the question, hence the interest in this ridiculously priced product. Even if it works, I don't think it would ever be worth the price!

The HD NitroSeal I got on the Honda has been a brilliant stop gap measure though, over a year and counting and it still looks brilliant. I'm quite surprised with how chemical resistant and maintenance free it is, would be a great candidate for this black Mazda if they didn't want to use a traditional coating.

Comment

That's a good job on the little Mazda Matty, well done. Not sure what he used but holy hell he hammered that paint!! Such low levels on the paint is not ideal at all.
                    Timmeh!!!

Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

Want some tips to help with taking detailing photos? Click here!

Comment

That Modesta primer looks like a great product. But at 150 it would want to be!

Comment

Great turnaround mate, that was some pretty gnarly damage.

Any idea how he managed to do that, with what I'm assuming was only a hand polish? Dirty applicator/rag perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by vigilantejosh View Post
                          That Modesta primer looks like a great product. But at 150 it would want to be!

nah, don't go on the inflated UK prices. They got 20% tax on that too that we don't pay.

Comment

Yeah true... VAT or whatever they call it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanilla Gorilla View Post
                              Great turnaround mate, that was some pretty gnarly damage.

Any idea how he managed to do that, with what I'm assuming was only a hand polish? Dirty applicator/rag perhaps?
                              My guess would be he used some old school cut n polish for single stage paint. It seems to be the most common on automotive retail and hardware store shelves.

Comment

Working...
                              X