X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rupes LHR 21E Big Foot VS Flex XC 3401 VRG

Hello everyone :wave:

This is a full review of the Rupes LHR 21E BIG FOOT RANDOM ORBITAL POLISHER

I had the pleasure and opportunity to fully test the Rupes LHR 21E BIG FOOT Random Orbital Polisher against my Flex XC3401 VRG Dual Action Polisher.

The owner of this Panel Shop was kind enough to let me try his brand new Rupes Big Foot for two days !

He gave me a scrap panel ( which was an Audi A4 Bonnet ) you all know how bloody hard this paint can be ( Ceramic) , well I was very excited to get my hands on this big baby and try it out for myself .

This was a good opportunity to test this Polisher before I went out and spent all my hard earned cash on it .

Two different machines Rupes BIG FOOT Random Orbital Polisher with a monster throw of 21mm , Flex XC 3401 VRG Forced Rotation and a throw of just 8mm that's 13 mm less compared to the Rupes.

So I prepared this scrap panel or should I say thrashed the hell of it with this 800grit which Panel Shops use .

Here's the Big Bad Boy with it's polishing pads!

And he's my Flex XC 3401 VRG which I used in this test comparison

Why on earth did I do this?:wall:this has made my polishing job even harder now !

The reason for this test is that I wanted to compare the Rupes against the Flex to see who would correct at a much faster rate I was a bit scared to be honest of the Rupes because of it's 21mm throw and with this sort of throw it reminded me of a jack hammer, the Flex didn't stand a chance or did it ?

As you can see the paint defects are very deep but I wanted to push both Polishers to there limit .

1200 grit wet sanding was done but forgot to take some photos :wall:
    1500 followed to remove as much defects as possible you wouldn't do this to a car .

3M 1500 grit sander paper was used to flatten those nasty scratches and several passes were needed to improve the state of the paint for polishing

Each side was marked with the Polishers Name to distinguish the polishing performance of each machine.

And a line with masking tape was drawn in the middle to separate the two polishers .

To be fare as a test comparison I used a Farecla Wool Pad and a Lake Country 7.5" Curved Edge Polishing Pad with my Flex DA.

With the Rupes RO I used there recommended products

First up was the Rupes Big Foot

The Rupes was having trouble removing these very deep scratches after several passes at full speed with there Heavy Cutting Compound and there very aggressive open pore Blue Cutting Pad.

Here's the other side polished with my Flex XC 3401 VRG DA at full speed !As you can see the paint defects are 95% better !

Flex left , Rupes right

Close up

The throw is just enormous it corrects very quick indeed the only problem I have with this machine is that it lacks power 500watt motor, when correcting the paint I wanted to apply some pressure to remove those paint defects and I managed to bog it down , a real shame really because I really like this machine . Pity Rupes didn't think of making it an 800watt motor it would have been perfect .

Compared to the Flex XC 3401 VRG with 13mm less throw but with a 900 watt motor and forced rotation , the Flex will not stop no matter how much pressure you apply to it , speed of correction is almost as quick as a rotary this is were the Flex wins , granted I did do as many passes on that side of the panel with the Flex like the Rupes , with the added 900watt motor and forced rotation removing those deep scratches was much easier with the Flex.

In conclusion both are very good machines it all depends which one you prefer Rupes or Flex . The Rupes did take a bit of getting used to with that humongous throw but very well balanced ideed.

Like with all polishers it's a matter of taste if you like the throw of the Rupes buy the Rupes , if you like forced rotation buy the Flex .

Thank you for reading my full review on the Rupes Big Foot

Best Regards

Mario
    www.euroglossprestige.com.au

Fantastic review there Mario! I'm gonna say the flex wins cause you know me, flex all the way with me. Love both 3401 and the rotary flex.

Good potential there for rupes tho, but really needs more watts and forced rotation
    sigpicwww.reflection-perfection.com.au

https://www.facebook.com/reflectperfectdetailing

Comment

Nice one Mario! Good to see something different out on the market.

Possible game changer? Could we expect all DAs to get longer throws?

Comment

not a good result for the italians mario
        The thing that you do, after your day job, in your free time, early in the morning or late at night. The thing you read about, write about, think about, fantasize about. that thing you do alone and theres no one to impress, nothing to prove, no money to be made, simply a passion to pursue. Thats it, thats your thing, thats your heart , your guide, Thats the thing you must, must do.

Comment

would have been good to see same pads and same product on both machines
          "The bitterness of poor quality remains
          long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." -Benjamin Franklin

Relax......... I'm from the internet!

Comment

Originally posted by bluering View Post
            +1, all the other factors besides the machine need to be the same
            Elite Finish
            Adelaide Detailer

0433 700 139
            www.elitefinish.com.au
            hamish@elitefinish.com.au
            https://www.facebook.com/elitefinish

Comment

Thank you for the review.

You said "To be fair" you selected the pads and polish combo that you did. Actually, to be fair you should've used the same pads/polish on both machines.

I use a Makita BO6040 rather than a Flex so I was keen to compare the Rupes to a forced rotation machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfisti View Post
                I use a Makita BO6040 rather than a Flex so I was keen to compare the Rupes to a forced rotation machine.
                The flex is a forced rotation :S.

+1 on same pad and polish combo.

Also curious to why you used 800 grit then 1200 then 1500 on a decent condition bonnet wouldn't have just using 1500 grit provided the defects you wanted and saved time? as essentially that would be all thats left anyway

Comment

amazing review! German wins again :P

Was wondering how long did you sacrifice your precious time?

Comment

Originally posted by mozza1976 View Post
                    Fantastic review there Mario! I'm gonna say the flex wins cause you know me, flex all the way with me. Love both 3401 and the rotary flex.

Good potential there for rupes tho, but really needs more watts and forced rotation

Thanks Mauro, yes I knew the Flex would win because of forced rotation and 900watt motor , Rupes is a completely different machine it has a massive throw of 21mm which I think is over the top that's just my opinion it's not forced rotation so that's a minus . Regardless of the 21mm throw it still didn't do a quicker job compared to the Flex XC 3401 VRG , throw is not everything although it does help as you say Flex is more powerful DA and the best at this stage .

Originally posted by Matty View Post
                    Nice one Mario! Good to see something different out on the market.

Possible game changer? Could we expect all DAs to get longer throws?
                    I was about to go out and buy a Rupes I'm glad I didn't it's not powerful enough and considering it has 21mm throw it still doesn't correct as quick as a Flex XC 3401 VRG does , according to Rupes this machine will replace a rotary and do the job quicker !

Am I missing something here ? Of course any DA can remove 3000grit sanding marks I think the results are flawed with the Rupes LHR 21E Big Foot even this panel beater , spray painter wasn't happy with the machine especially after seeing the results of the Flex XC 3401 VRG he couldn't believe how quick it corrected those deep scratches .

It took the Rupes much longer to correct the same paint defects so where's the catch ? Use there polishes , pads that to me is not a reasonable solution , I used there pads and polishes initially ( Rupes) with the Flex XC 3401 VRG and it corrected just as well as if I was using my own pads , polishes . I then decided to use my own pads , polishes .

Maybe Matt , to me efficiency is what the Flex is all about and I'm afraid the Rupes does not meet that criteria .

Originally posted by LIBERTYRX1 View Post
                    not a good result for the italians mario
                    No not good results for Rupes Nicola

Originally posted by bluering View Post
                    Originally posted by Hamish_023 View Post
                    +1, all the other factors besides the machine need to be the same
                    Originally posted by Alfisti View Post
                    Thank you for the review.

You said "To be fair" you selected the pads and polish combo that you did. Actually, to be fair you should've used the same pads/polish on both machines.

Tony, Hamish, Mitch, Alfisti, I did try the same pads combo like the Rupes with the Flex initially but I was obtaining faster results so to make things fair I decided to use my own pads polishes .

This review is not about pads , polishes it's about the Rupes LHR 21E Big Foot VS Flex XC 3401 VRG. A forced rotation polisher like the Flex XC 3401 VRG will always correct paint much quicker than a RO like the Rupes LHR 21E Big Foot even with a 21mm Orbit it didn't do the job as well as the Flex .

First of all if the Rupes is that efficient why does it need it's own polishes , pads ? To me the Rupes results in the video that they show on YOU TUBE are flawed any DA can remove 3000grit sanding marks try removing 1200 , 1500 grit with this machine and then you will see how efficient it will remove those sanding marks .

Rupes slogan is that the Big Foot LHR 21E works quicker ( 40%) compared to a rotary I think that this polisher is a case of good marketing !

Also, I wanted to push the limits of both polishes that's why I used a 800grit scourer that spray painters use , I wanted to make this test as difficult as possible in a real life situation I have encountered these sort of defects with the Lexus IS 200 which I did in the begining of the year and other cars that I have polished in my 17 years in this business.

The whole idea of testing these polishers is to see who will do the job quicker as I said before it's not about Pads , Polishes , it's about Polishers and I think I have proved my point even if there are few of you who disagree with me .

At the end of the day I have tried the machine to it's limits you haven't !

Originally posted by A12DO View Post
                    amazing review! German wins again :P

Was wondering how long did you sacrifice your precious time?

Thanks Reinardo, yes it did !

I spent two days of extensive testing at this Panel Shop , the owner was kind enough to lend me his Rupes Big Foot for testing .

Thank you guys for your comments !

Best Regards

Mario
                    www.euroglossprestige.com.au

Comment

But compairing the machines is exactly why all other variables should be the same ie pad/polish combo, passes, and speed of passes.

My point on the sanding is if you followed the 800 with 1200 and 1500 then the 800 marks are gone already so really wasnt needed in the first place. But thats just my oppinion (maybe I am wrong).

Comment

Originally posted by detailed View Post
                        But compairing the machines is exactly why all other variables should be the same ie pad/polish combo, passes, and speed of passes.

My point on the sanding is if you followed the 800 with 1200 and 1500 then the 800 marks are gone already so really wasnt needed in the first place. But thats just my oppinion (maybe I am wrong).
                        You would think the Rupes would work absolutely best with their own pads and polish. Why limit the Flex to what works best with the Rupes?

This is a great test against the Rupes set up, and what someone would normally use.

Why test the Flex with the Rupes set up? You wouldn't use that normally? Why bother trying to limit the Flex's ability and use the Rupes optimally? That would be unfair, and lets face it, complete waste of time. Both should be used optimally, that is a 'real world' test.

Unfair to the Rupes? Who cares! If it fails against the 3401, you're not going to blow your money on it, are you?

My take on it anyway.

Comment

I understand where you are coming from Matty but and its a big BUT.

Pad and Polish combination is around 80% of the correction and finish IMO the machine be the 20% left. After all you dont change machines for each stage you change pads and compound or polish true?

What I am trying to get you and Mario to understand is that the Wizards Cut could be more agressive than the Rupes "equivalent" this could be a factor as to why the VRG 3401 corrected better or it could have been the pad possibly more agressive.

In fact in Marios picture I see a wool pad next to the VRG and two foams with the Rupes..... this could be exactly what I am talking about and correct.

I own a VRG myself and would love to see it win I am just making a point that when comparing products all variables must be taken out of it.

I am sure Mario in his many years of detailing expertise would have to understand and see where I am coming from also.

Comment

I can see both arguments but agree with Mitch, in that the only true way to test the machine, rather than the combination, is to have no variables other than the machine itself. So same panel, same prep, same pad, same polish, same technique, same number of passes and let the machines do what they do. When the only difference is the machine, it's the machine that is being evaluated and only the machine.

If it were to test the rupes combination vs a dedicated flex combination, then by all means, swap them out but in this instance, it's designed to be machine vs machine.

Just my 0.02

Comment

Yeah, I see where you're coming from, but you would think if Rupes offers pads and polish, they had already found what works best? Have you tried wool pads on DA? They don't work to well on mine....

Comment

Working...
                              X